Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Monday, April 13, 2015

Review: Neverfade by Alexandra Bracken

Grade: 4.5 Butterflies
Series: The Darkest Minds #2
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Goodreads Summary

Ruby never asked for the abilities that almost cost her her life. Now she must call upon them on a daily basis, leading dangerous missions to bring down a corrupt government and breaking into the minds of her enemies. Other kids in the Children’s League call Ruby “Leader”, but she knows what she really is: a monster.

When Ruby is entrusted with an explosive secret, she must embark on her most dangerous mission yet: leaving the Children’s League behind. Crucial information about the disease that killed most of America’s children—and turned Ruby and the others who lived into feared and hated outcasts—has survived every attempt to destroy it. But the truth is only saved in one place: a flashdrive in the hands of Liam Stewart, the boy Ruby once believed was her future—and who now wouldn’t recognize her.

As Ruby sets out across a desperate, lawless country to find Liam—and answers about the catastrophe that has ripped both her life and America apart—she is torn between old friends and the promise she made to serve the League. Ruby will do anything to protect the people she loves. But what if winning the war means losing herself?
 






I highly enjoyed reading The Darkest Minds and with the ending it had I was very anxious to read this one and see how it continued. After finishing this one, I had some mixed emotions. I really loved this book; I liked it much better then the Darkest Minds! However, I'm not really liking the way the series is going. Besides that, I didn't have any problems with this book, I loved it.

So, this book starts out 6 months after the events at the end of The Darkest Minds. Ruby has just finished her basic training with the league and she is now being sent out on missions. I don't want to say anymore than that because the plot starts off right away and never really stops. With that being said, I was immediately pulled into this book and was never let go. The plot keeps up a constant pace throughout the whole book, but it wasn't too fast. It let you savor what was happening while at the same time keeping your attention.  I was on the edge of my seat for most of this book and could not stop reading. I read into the night to finish this book.

The characters were amazing! I loved Ruby and Liam and all the new characters introduced in this one! They are all just so well written and had so much depth to them. You also get so connected to them because they are good people, but everyone wants to kill them and because of that you root for them to survive and succeed. You also want them to succeed because failing would mean they die and you don't want them to die.

The thing that I love the most about these books so far is the world. And I mean that in the sense that I love to hate this world. This world is horrible, unfair, and without justice. I love it because it adds so much to the reading experience and the plot.Like I said before, the fact that the world is so horrible makes you like the characters more and you want them to get past all of the hatred and the death.

The other thing that I love about this book and the series is how there really isn't any good guys. So many people claim to "help" the children but they are really in it for themselves and that adds an interesting element to the book and makes the plot even more gripping. It sounds horrible that I like the fact that there aren't any good guys, but I like it because it adds that element into the book but also because it makes you think about right and wrong. It kind of the same thing as the whole world thing, the fact that there isn't anybody in the children's corner makes you root for them more and makes you increasingly angry and I like books that make me feel.

Now, the one thing I didn't like about this book was how it ended because I don't like where the plot is going. This is one of the rare instances where I agree with a villain; not his methods, but his opinion  on a certain thing. Anyone who has read this will probably understand which villain I am referring to and to what I am referring to. I won't say anymore about it because I don't want to spoil anything, but basically it feels like they are giving up the fight and are basically saying everyone was right about them. I just don't like that and I hope that in the next book something will change about this and it won't continue on this course.

This was a great book and while I thought the Darkest Minds was really good I thought this book was amazing! This book had everything; a great, gripping plot that had you on the edge of your seat, characters that are wonderfully written, a world that is horrible but gives so much to the plot, and writing that is beautiful. I loved this book!

This book got...

4.5 Butterflies
Beautiful, this is a great book. 



Happy reading!



2 comments:

  1. I loved Never Fade, too! Vida quickly became one of my favorite characters- I love how she doesn't take crap from anybody! My heart was pretty shattered by the end of this, though; the characters have been through so much, and it just seems like they're never going to get a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vida was such a great character! At first I kind of hated her but throughout the book I started to like her more and more. Her character just got so much depth and I just ended up loving her so much! The character that I really wanted to know more about was Liam's brother and I've forgotten his name because I am just horrible with names, even the names of characters I loved, lol. He just seemed like such a great character and cool character!


    I think that's why I'm afraid to read the next book. I have no hope that anything will get better for these characters and I'm afraid that Alexandra Bracken will pull a George R.R. Martain and kill all of them off.

    ReplyDelete