Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Amulet Vol. 2: The Stonekeeper's Curse by Kazu Kibuishi


Grade: Great!
Series: Amulet #2
Author: Kazu Kibuishi
Publisher: GRAPHIX




In this thrilling sequel to AMULET #1: THE STONEKEEPER, Emily and her brother Navin head for Kanalis, a beautiful and mysterious city of waterfalls, where they hope to find the antidote for the poison that felled their mother. That cure lies in the eggs of a giant serpent atop Demon's Head Mountain, but the kids' archenemy, Trellis, is headed for the peak, too. A battle that will engulf all of Kanalis is looming. It's up to Em to triumph over evil while controlling the amulet's power . . . without losing herself!



This is the sequel to The Stonekeeper, a graphic novel that I am in love with! This one starts off about a week or two after the first one. The crew is just arriving at the city of Kanalis in hopes of curing Emily and Nevin's mother. I loved this one even more then the first one!! It was fantastic!! The plot progressed wonderfully and I love where this story is going! I also loved how this one improved on some of the minor problems I had with the first one.

What is interesting is how this one is only, at most, two weeks after the first and yet Emily and Navin look a lot older. In the first one it's like, "hi 8 and 10 year olds" and in this one its like "Nice to meet you 11 and 12 year olds". I don't know if this is just me or what.

This plot captivated me again and I just loved it! I love where this story is going!  I loved how it's like a fantasy quest type of thing and she has to learn how to control her powers! I just loved it! There wasn't a slow part of this book. So many things happened in it, but not to much to confuse you. It just really took you on a rollorcoaster of action.

 I also liked how, since it's a quest type of book, we get to see more of the world. That was one of my problems with the first one, we just didn't get to see  lot of the world in that one. However, in this one we get to see a lot of the world and it was gorgeous! This author knows how to draw some amazing landscapes! He also starts to draw more backgrounds in scenes. In the last one most of the backgrounds were just blue blurs, but in this one he paid more attention to the background and I really appreciated that. I'm finding that for me with graphic novels, if the author doesn't pay attention to the backgrounds you don't feel like you're there in the world. And it gives the exact opposite effect then what graphic novels or suppose to. So, I'm really glad he started focusing on the backgrounds some more.

The best part of this one is the information we get. We learn about the 'curse' on the people, the origins of he evil Elf King, we learn about the underground rebellion, we also get info on the amulets, we learn just so much! And that really pushes the story on and gives us vital background information on the world. The characters also get more depth. Emily gets stronger in this one, even though she is still, thankfully, just as clear-headed and determined as in the first one. I really like hat about her, because the Amulet is a bad influence and it's nice to see for once a MC that doesn't get corrupted by the bad influence. The Elf Prince also gets some development and background information. He actually reminds me of Prince Zeko on Avatar the Last Airbender.

Overall, I am in love with this series!! It is amazing, captivating rollarcoast rides of fun, action, and fights. I love where the story is leading us, the world, everything about this series. I loved this one because the characters are growing, we as a reader learn more about the world, we also get to see more of the world. This graphic novel was just super fantastic! If you haven't started reading this series, do so now. It is a great series for beginners of Graphic Novels and at the same time a veteran graphic novel reader will still love it.

This book got..







No comments:

Post a Comment