Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Review: The Edge of Never J. A. Redmerski


GradeButterflies
Name: The Edge of Never (The Edge of Never #1)
Author: J. A. Redmerski
Publisher: CreateSpace
Pages: Paperback, 426 pages

Goodreads Summary

Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.

Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club in downtown North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she’s ever known, far behind.

With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.

But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she’d do. He shows her what it’s really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew’s dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?




I've been wanting to read more New Adult books lately and since this book has a lot of hype I decided to start with this one. And in the end it turned out like most of my "Hyped up" reads, good but just not amazing. There was also some other issues I had with it, but overall I enjoyed it but I wasn't blown away by it.

This book starts with the man character Camryn getting tired of her how her life is and so she buys a ticket to anywhere on a bus. There she meets Andrew and they start to grow a relationship and the plot goes from there. First off I want to say that did enjoy reading this. The plot captured your attention and kept it. And even though It didn't blow me away I did think the plot line was interesting.

The second thing I want to say is I didn't really like the ending. It felt to rushed to me. I think the book should have focused more on the tragic aspect of the book, instead of revealing it to the characters and resolving it in the span of like 40 pages.

I have a lot of mixed feelings for the characters in this. At first I didn't like them but as the book went on I started liking. The characters really confused me in the beginning. They where all over the place, you couldn't get a feel for their personality's. It was like the author herself couldn't get a feel on their personalty's either. However, as the book went on, the characters solidified, a lot. That's why in the end I really liked them, but they where just really confusing in the beginning.

The biggest thing that I didn't really like in this book was the massages it had. The reason Camryn left was because she didn't like how her life was normal. She didn't want to have a life where she was doing the same thing every day. And I understand that, it's kind of why I don't like High School, it's just the same thing day in and day out and that gets boring. But what I didn't like was how they kind of looked at the "normal life" as bad. I can understand wanting either one, I can understand wanting to go to collage to get a career and  also understand wanting to backpack across the world. And so didn't get why Camryn and Andrew couldn't understand why people would want that kind of life. It's like really, just cause you don't want that doesn't mean everybody shouldn't want that.

I was also confused on the fact that both of them knew nobody else that wanted to travel. Half the people I know want to do that, people who want to travel aren't has rare as they are portrayed in the book.

The last thing that annoyed me in this book was how Andrew became her whole life. It's great that the guy you like it part of your life, but I hate it in books where the love interest is the main characters whole life. I just don't like it when a characters whole life is resolves around a guy/girl. I just don't think a relationship like that is healthy, because it makes you dependent on that person. I think a relationship should make you stronger not more dependent.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book, but it didn't dazzle me and make me fall in love with it. Also I didn't like some of the massages it sent. However, do I recommend it? Yes, for the simple fact that things that I didn't really like in this book where things that I interpreted. And you could very well interpreted these things differently and they could make the outstanding for you.

This book gets...

3 Butterflies
Basic, nothing special.

Happy reading








1 comment:

  1. -looks at your rating-
    I knew it! Hyped-up books, especially REALLY hyped-up books like this one, almost always lie.
    Oh goodness, Camryn doesn't like "normal?" That sounds like one of those people who don't want to be "normal," so they do drugs or cut school or join a gang or do whatever. -shivers-
    Great review Kimberly! (:

    ReplyDelete