Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Discussion Time: Reading in Accents



I was just reading a book and I was almost finished with it, when there was a reference about the one of the characters having an accent. And I was taken back, because I remember reading in the beginning that the author said that this character had an accent, but it completely slipped my mind.

So that made me wonder, do you ever read in accents?

Like, if your an american and a character has a British accent, do you read whatever the character says in a British accent? Or whatever nationality you are, do you read a character's dialogue in the accent that the character has?

For me it's a big fat No. I almost never read a character's dialogue in their accent. The only times that I have is when the author takes the time to make the character sound like they have an accent. Like if they're British and the author incorporates British slang into their dialogue than I read it in a British accent. But if the author doesn't do that (which they almost never do) than I don't read it in their accent. And this disappoints me, because I feel like a character's accent helps make them more real and give them more depth. And so I don't like it when I get to the end of the book and suddenly I remember that they're suppose to have an accent.

So, comment below if you do and don't read in accents, because I'm really interested to see if I'm the only one that doesn't read in accents.
Happy reading



No comments:

Post a Comment