Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton



Grade: 4.5 Butterflies
Name: Everneath (Everneath #1)
Author: Brodi Ashton
Released: January 24th 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins / Balzer + Bray
Source: My bookshelves
Pages: Hardcover, 370 pages

Goodreads Summary

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned--to her old life, her family, her boyfriend--before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance--and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.

Everneath is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton.


 
*****************

My Thoughts


     I have seen this book everywhere. It seems like most of the bloggers have read this book and has an opinion about it. And almost everyone likes it, I have seen very few bad reviews on this. I never read this book until now, because my library doesn't have it and I am not willing to spend 20 dollars on a book. So, when I saw that this book finally came out in paperback I got it and boy am I glad I did.

     This book started out good, good writing, good characters, and good plot. However, I wasn't instantly sucked into the plot. For the first half of these book I recognized that the writing and everything else was good, but it felt like me, as the reader, was put at arms length. I could not for the life of me get seriously into this book. I kept reading, because everything was good, but I just felt disconnected to the book. After a while I felt myself slowly and gradually start to connect with it. After the half way mark I was completely sucked into this book!!!When that happened the book got so much better.

     The plot in this book was not very fast, but it wasn't slow either, it was right in between. There is a very thin line when that happens in a book, because depending on how good of an writer the author is it could be very bad or very good. Luckily, Brodi Ashton is a very talented writer and she pulled it off. The pacing in this book was great!!! I loved it!!

     There is a Love triangle in this book and that was one of the reason why I immediately picked this book up. I am really tired of love triangles. However, Brodi Ashton's talent for writing shined though and it takes a lot for an author to make me like their love triangle. The love triangle in this book was believable and likable. It also felt like the love triangle wasn't just there for the sake of there being a love triangle. It felt like it contributed to the plot. Which also shows how great the writing was, because it is very hard for an author to do that.

     Lets talk characters now. When I was reading this I felt like there was nothing really special about them and they where average. However, after I finished it and now I am looking back at it I was completely wrong. They characters in this book where fantastic, completely fantastic!!! They felt like real people who where stuck in the book. I just really loved them! Although, the one I think I am going to remember for a long time is Nikki. She had her flaws, but that is what made her feel so real.

     Overall, I am giving this book 4.5 Butterflies because it took me awhile to get connect with this book, but when I did this book blew me away. The characters where wonderful and felt so real, the plot was great and the perfect pace for me, and the writing was outstanding!! Brodi Ashton did so many great things in her Debut book that some authors who wrote five books can't even do. I recommend this book a 100 times over. Get this book right now!!

this book got....


4.5 Butterflies
Beautiful, this is a great book.
with only one tiny thing bad in it. 

Recommened if you like: Greek mythology, Love story, and great writing.




Thats my review, I hope you like it.
Happy reading












2 comments:

  1. Wait until you read the sequel Kimberly! The love triangle is even better because you learn a lot more about Cole and you'll be like oh my goodness, who do I want Nikki to end up with?! (Assuming that you like Jack better than Cole right now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Jack's a cool guy, but I think I am going to be a die hard Team Cole fan. However, I think Jack is better suited for Nikki then Cole is and that is why I don't think I am going to like the last book, because the author seemed to lean more toward Jack in this book.
      The sequel is out??? I didn't know the sequel was out!! How could I not know the sequel was out?? I need to read it now!!!

      Delete